Friday, July 10, 2015

Summer Sewing

www.isitreallysewstrange.blogspot.com


It's the summer! As a teacher, the summer is this magical time when I actually have the time to enjoy sewing. I took the first week of the summer to relax and then started sewing. I have a lot of projects in mind, but I'm not making a list this year. I usually make an unrealistically long list of projects and then am disappointed when I don't complete them all. I am just sewing what I feel like sewing this summer. My first project was another Simplicity 3533. I have made multiple versions of this top here, and here. Once I find a pattern that fits, I just make modifications to the style lines in order to create new designs. I find that this is easier then making multiple muslins of a pattern to get to right fit every time I use a new pattern. 

For my most recent creation I made this asymmetrical top by cutting a sheer ink splatter boarder print polyester from Fabricland on the bias. I originally used the rolled hem stitch on my serger to create neckline and armholes. Disaster. They stretched out and looked floppy. I cut the stretched out fabric off and then used satin bias tape to finish the neckline and armholes. This took longer the longest. I sewed it on and took my time, and when I finished the binding was sticking up. I tried flipping in and sewing it down, but it didn't look good either. I picked out the last row of top stitching and then flipped the binding inside and tacked it down. I'm happy with the result. I the rolled hem on the hem. It worked perfectly. I think I am going to get a lot of use out of this top... and this pattern. 

10 comments:

  1. I love border prints & I love how you used this one! I thought it was a dress until I read your entire post . You've inspired me to keep up my search for a TNT that I can change around . Great job !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MaryEllen. I like to find very basic patterns for TNTs so that they are easy to change up.

      Delete
  2. Wow is all I can say! That is a beautiful top! I enjoy reading your post, keep sewing & posting! You can see me at www.sewplus.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so stunning. Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this print! It looks so chic! and you really made it pop with this cut- I can imagine so many outfits this would look good with- both dressed up and dressed down, maybe with a statement necklace or a bright handbag! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I agree it's very versatile. I have plans to wear it a lot this summer.

      Delete