Friday, July 10, 2015
It's the summer! As a teacher, the summer is this magical time when I actually have the time to enjoy sewing. I took the first week of the summer to relax and then started sewing. I have a lot of projects in mind, but I'm not making a list this year. I usually make an unrealistically long list of projects and then am disappointed when I don't complete them all. I am just sewing what I feel like sewing this summer. My first project was another Simplicity 3533. I have made multiple versions of this top here, and here. Once I find a pattern that fits, I just make modifications to the style lines in order to create new designs. I find that this is easier then making multiple muslins of a pattern to get to right fit every time I use a new pattern.
For my most recent creation I made this asymmetrical top by cutting a sheer ink splatter boarder print polyester from Fabricland on the bias. I originally used the rolled hem stitch on my serger to create neckline and armholes. Disaster. They stretched out and looked floppy. I cut the stretched out fabric off and then used satin bias tape to finish the neckline and armholes. This took longer the longest. I sewed it on and took my time, and when I finished the binding was sticking up. I tried flipping in and sewing it down, but it didn't look good either. I picked out the last row of top stitching and then flipped the binding inside and tacked it down. I'm happy with the result. I the rolled hem on the hem. It worked perfectly. I think I am going to get a lot of use out of this top... and this pattern.