Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Petal Power

I recently decided that I needed a new dress to wear on interviews. I made a modified Simplicity 4408. I cut a size 24 and used the Palmer and Petch tissue fitting method to grade the bust down to a size 22. I modified the pattern to make it into an A line dress. This was an arduous process that took way too long. While it is totally worth it to get a great fitting pattern in the end, it is so frustrating that I have to put so many hours into getting each pattern to fit properly. I am definitely not someone who can sew straight from the pattern without making changes.

plus size sewing and pattern making www.isitreallysewstrange.blogspot.com

I am also not the type of person who wants to make a pattern exactly as it appears on the pattern envelope. When I buy a pattern I usually have design changes in mind. In a lot of cases that is creating an A line from a straight skirt or dress. This is because straight skirts and dresses highlights my rectangular body shape.   I have what Trinny and Sushannah call a "brick" body shape. When I first bought the Body Shape Bible years ago I was so relieved. Finally there was a book that didn't categorize every plus size women as 'curvy.' Curvy is not a body shape. I am plus size and don't have a lot of curves. They recommend wearing clothes that give me a feminine shape. Now back to the dress...

plus size sewing and pattern making www.isitreallysewstrange.blogspot.com



I modified the collar making a short of teardrop shape and adding petals to the collar. I got this idea from Pinterest. I wanted to minimize bulk in the collar and didn't interface the petals. What I should have done is interface them but cut away the interfacing from the seam allowance. I used grey suiting I bought a Fabricland and an invisible zipper.

plus size sewing and pattern making www.isitreallysewstrange.blogspot.com


I am very happy with how this dress turned out. It is one of my contributions to Me Made May. I didn't make a pledge this year, but I have been wearing my homemade lingerie everyday this month.

8 comments:

  1. Love what you did with the collar! This dress is right on the money, feminine, yet conservative/appropriate for business. Great job on the fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. That's exactly what I was going for.

      Delete
  2. Love that collar! And the dress is such a great shape on you. :) I also hate the "curvy" classification. It's just such a sweeping term and doesn't really say anything about your body. I think people use it to avoid terms like plus sized.

    Really love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andie. I agree that people use 'curvy' as a nicer way to say plus size. But it doesn't help me decide what to wear and how to dress because there are so many different shapes within the plus size range.

      Delete
  3. I agree with all that Andrea said above.

    And your dress is definitely making you look like you have curves so it's working on that level too. I like what you said that curvy is not a body shape. I think you're on to something ... I would be plus-hourglass, you maybe plus-rectangle? And then we'd have plus-pear, plus-inverted triangle. Hmmm ... you're a genius. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. I don't even think we need to include the plus to our body shape. The shape is the shape. So you are an hourglass. Check out The Body Shape Bible. I seriously live by it and even though some of the styles are outdated the rules apply even today.

      Delete
  4. The time you put into the changes in that dress is certainly worthwhile. Love the look on you. So professional looking too.

    ReplyDelete