Sunday, November 23, 2014

Cocktail Dress


www.isitreallysewstrange.blogspot.com

The recent engagement party of a friend was the perfect excuse to wear the cocktail dress I made last year. I used Butterick B5856 view A and modified it into a dress. I made a muslin and modified it extensively to get the look I wanted. The problem is that I didn't keep the modified pattern. In a spurt of swing cleaning last year, I misplaced it for scrap pattern paper and threw it out, I also re-purposed the muslin to create a muslin for another garment. I am disappointed in myself for this, but know what to do if I ever make this pattern again. Because I made the muslin in a woven fabric there were a lot of adjustments that had to be made the the final garment because it was a knit. I had to take it in about an inch on each side to get the proper fit around the bust. So I took it in a little, then a little more, and to my dismay the dress was too small. I had already cut the seam allowance down and could not take it out again. So, the dress has been sitting in my closet for a year waiting for me to loose weight. I found the next best thing... new spanx!

www.isitreallysewstrange.blogspot.com


I used a reversible matte/snake skin print thick ponte knit fabric from Fabricland. I love the look of the black on black snake skin. It adds that extra glamour that I love.

www.isitreallysewstrange.blogspot.com


The pictures came out much darker then I would have liked. As I was in a hurry to leave for the party I didn't have time to change my set up. I know that I should have dedicated photo shoot time when I'm not rushed, but there isn't always time.