Saturday, September 13, 2014

Costume Conundrum

Photo courtesy of Andy Mlinarski

While the lazy days of summer have just come to a close, I am thinking Halloween. I know it is still a month and a half away, but I'm a planner. I like to get my Halloween costume ideas settled early so I have a lot of time to create the costume. I have been going back and forth on a costume idea for the past couple of months. I know, I've been thinking about Halloween since June- crazy! The two costumes that I have vetoed are Cleopatra and Nefertiti.   I have planned my costume for this year (based on a movie character) and have scheduled a trip to Fabricland and Michaels to get supplies. I need to get sewing soon. I am keeping this years costume a secret until the big Halloween reveal, but I will show you last years costume. 

I decided to take my inspiration for the artist Frida Kahlo. She was a Mexican artist who created amazing self portraits, was very political and had an affair with Leon Trotsky. I love her aesthetic and that she didn't care what was in fashion or trendy. She wore what she liked.

Photo courtesy of Andy Mlinarski


My interpretation included a pink eyelet top using Simplicity 3533 (other versions seen here and here), and a 10 gore skirt (another version seen here). I added her signature flowers by hot gluing fake flowers to plastic hair combs. Here distinctive unobrow was created with mascara. It was a really fun costume and I got to practice making Simplicity 3533 and my 10 gore skirt. 


Top: Frida Kahlo wearing a signature colorful look. Photo by Nickolas Murray. Above: Frida displays the three elements of Tehuana dress—the floral headpiece, square-cut blouse, and long skirt.
Frida Kahlo Source





 
Frida Kahlo Source
 My hot glue gun is warming up as we speak for Halloween 2014!



2 comments:

  1. I love that idea. Your people must be really cerebral. Last time I made a costume like that, no one got it. But I'm tempted to bite.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Most people got it. Some had to be explained and google was used a bit. But it was a fun costume. This years costume will be much more well known.

      Delete