Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My First Lingerie Set




I finished sewing my first lingerie set yesterday. Sewing lingerie is so much fun and so fast. This bra took me 6 hours to make. I've shaved one hour off of my previous time. Not bad for the third bra I've sewn. The underwear took me about two and half hours, including drafting the pattern. One problem I came across was photography. It is impossible to photograph underwear so that it doesn't look huge. My solution: photograph from a height and an angle. I think it worked out pretty well. 




I hate nude bras. They seem so institutional. Like orthotics for your breasts. My solution was to add a little bit of lace. I found this lace on clearance at Fabricland. The problem with buying lace not specified for lingerie is the scratch factor. This lace is pretty scratchy- especially on the leg opening (see picture below).





I was able to counteract this by only placing the lace on the bra where the inside seams would be covered with elastic. That way I'm not itchy all day. I drafted the pantie pattern from instructions I received at Beverly Johnson's Perfect Panties class at Bra-Makers Supply. It is a great class and the pattern drafting creates a perfect pair of panties specifically drafted to your body. LOVE IT! I can't wait to make more lingerie sets! I have at least 9 bras planned...



8 comments:

  1. So pretty. I just took Ann St Claire's class at the ASG conference on bra making. She fits you and you walk away with your personal pattern. Lots of steps but so easy. I can't wait till I make something as pretty as yours. Karen in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen,
      It is really easy. That's the funny thing about it. It takes time and patients... and lots of zig zaging, but it's not as difficult as people think. Maybe we should keep that a secret. I'll want to see what creations you come up with once you start sewing bras.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, custom drafted panties? That sounds awesome! I've tried out a few patterns, but never quite nailed down the right fit... Your bra is lovely, too! I think I should stat saving to try that class myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillian, Thank you. I would highly recommend the classes. The ladies at Bra Makers Supply are so helpful and knowledgeable, and you come away with great fitting bras and underwear. I never would have figured out all of the alterations to the basic bra pattern that had to be made to fit me perfectly, without the class. Plus they are relatively quick to make once you get the hang of it.

      Delete
  3. Love your set-it's so very pretty! I am working on my 2nd Shelley bra now and I do love the pattern. I have most of Beverly's patterns and books. I have taken Ann St. Clair's class and been fitted twice. I like the Bravo Bella 2 bra pattern they custom-drafted for me. Welcome to the wonderful world of bra-making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I haven't tried the Shelley bra yet. I am planning on taking the foam cup bra class next summer.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful set! This is your 3rd bra? You've got some bra making skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, yes, it is my third bra. I have three bras cut out and ready to sew. Hopefully I'll get to them this week. Bra-making is so much fun!

      Delete